10. Juni 2008

Off-Topic - What I learned from Ants

This is just a little break from the Series "Pictures of Bavaria". It will be continued with the next post, so I ask you for a bit of patience.

This post here is a contribution to the Writing Project "What I learned from Animals".
Some days ago I had to water the plants on my husband's grave. I've got to do this every two or three days, because here in Berlin we didn't have rain for over one week. So I fetched the watering can, went to the water, filled it and very slowly watered the thirsty plants. Suddenly I felt a tickling on my left hand; just like some insect would run over it.
I am not very keen on insects; everything with more than four feet gives me the creeps. So I very slowly looked at my hand, hoping it was an insect I was able to cope with. Okay, three ants were running over my hand. My first reaction was to hit them with the other hand (they are so small I would have got all three of them at once); but then I decided not to. I brought my hand to the earth and very cautiously helped them to get to the ground. I decided to watch and follow them, and some times later they had found their fellow ants, which were trying to carry off a thick green leaf. It was almost impossible, but they never gave up, and in the end, carried away the leaf in silent triumph (at least that whas the impression they gave).

Well, what did I learn?
1. Sometimes it takes a kind person to get you back to the right way when you're lost. Traffic is low, comments are near zero, and you feel down and out. Somebody comes and takes you by the hand instead of hitting you on the head with a harsh critic.
2. Keep going on! Even if the way is steep and the load is heavy, you can do it!

Information about the writing project on
http://middlezonemusings.com/what-i-learned-from-animals
and
http://highcallingblogs.com/writing-project-animals/

8 Kommentare:

Unknown hat gesagt…

Very nice story Ulla!

If you don't mind I will give you one small writing tip. Well it's not writing, just the way it's laid out.

If you break up the paragraphs into much much smaller sections it will be easier for people to read.

On the internet paragraphs need to be really small - just one or two sentences.

It helps our eye to skip over the text happily.

Back to the story: I had a similar experience in Mexico.

I was with a quiet poet waiting for a lift. Nothing was happening in this hot dusty village.

He said: let's see what's happening here.

We stopped and stared at the ground. It just came to life, teeming with ants.

There was a whole novel being written under our feet as they moved leaves and sticks that seemed impossibly large.

It was a good lesson to me that there is something of interest *everywhere* if we open our eyes.

Joanna

PS Es tut mir leid das ich konnte nicht mein Kommentar auf deutsch schreiben

Anonym hat gesagt…

Hi Joanna,
thanks for your advice. You are absolutely right, and I will try to write my next posts in a more readable way.
Ulla

Audra Krell hat gesagt…

Hi Ulla,
I really love your blog. The pictures are so beautiful. I think your post on what you learned from ants is wonderful. You are spot on! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for commenting.

Ulla Hennig hat gesagt…

Audra,
thanks for stopping by and commenting! And your encouraging comment - it is so important for me.

Anonym hat gesagt…

Ants are a good model of perseverance and work ethic. Your observations show how inspiring even an insignificant insect really is!

Anonym hat gesagt…

Thanks, Brad, for taking the time to read and comment!

Lisa Vella hat gesagt…

Ulla,

What a lovely blog you have, and a nice contribution to the group writing project. Who would think you could learn something from ants? But then, in life, we can take something positive away from any situation if we choose to, can't we?

Thank you so much for sharing! Have a wonderful day!

Lisa

Ruth Hull Chatlien hat gesagt…

What a good story. So often we jump to the conclusion that something is going to bother us and swat it aside when we don't need to. And really maybe the other person or ant is just going about their own business intently.

I enjoyed your entry in the "What I Learned from Animals" project.

Osterhasen-Schlüsselanhänger

  Niedlicher Osterhof Schlüsselanhänger von ullahennig Trotz des Übersetzungsfehlers (es handelt sich natürlich um einen Osterhasen un...